RAW BASIL PESTO PASTA ZOODLES, HIGH-FIBER, GLUTEN-FREE
RAW BASIL PESTO PASTA ZOODLES
Featured on Episode 4 of Nancy’s Kitchen: Raw Pasta Series
- 1-2 zucchinis = (high Fiber, omega-3 fatty acids, zinc, niacin)
- 6-12 cherry tomatoes (lycopene = powerful)
- 1/2 teaspoon Himalayan/Sea salt (helps regulating the water content throughout your body
- 1 cup firmly packed fresh basil* = (digestive aids + helps w/ circulation, aromatic + carminative)
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil = ( believed to help lower LDL + B vitamins, zinc and other minerals)
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice = (cleanser, purifier, rejuvenator, and detoxifier especially for the liver)
- 1/3 cup pine nuts = excellent source of vitamin E; contain about 9.33 mg per 100 g
- 4 cloves peeled garlic = (antiviral, antibacterial, increased cell activity, support the immune system by enhancing the
- function of our immune cells and organs, including the thymus and liver)
- A sprinkle of Himalayan/Sea salt
*Studies show basil contains orientin and vincenin, two water-soluble flavonoids that protect cell structure as well as chromosomes from radiation and free-radical damage. As such, basil provides important anti-cancer benefits.[Murray et Al, 2005]
Step 1: Use a julienne peeler or spiralizer to turn zucchini into noodle-like strips.
Step 2: Put all the zucchini noodles in a bowl and sprinkle with 1/2 teaspoon salt. Stir it well to mix the salt evenly. Allow the noodles to sit for about half an hour so that water can be drained.
To make the pesto:
Combine the basil, extra virgin olive oil, lemon juice, pine nuts, garlic and salt in the blender. Blend until it’s completely smooth. Add to zucchini pasta and garnish with basil and enjoy!