Electromagnetic Fields (EMFs): Sources, Risks, Tips
The human body and the earth itself create EMFs, which are invisible electrical and magnetic forces. In this case, they are very low-level. However, many recent technologies—if not all—create artificial EMFs. These are much more powerful and dangerous. We are exposed 50 million times more than our grandparents were, if not more.
Top sources of man-made EMFs:
- Cell phone towers
- Power lines
- Computers and laptops
- Airplanes and airports
We are getting more and more exposed to man-made EMFs, which can change the naturally occurring frequencies in our body to unhealthy frequencies. This in turn causes unhealthy tissue and disease.
There are not many studies on this subject as of yet, perhaps because we have been exposed to this high level of EMFs for only the last 30 years, and studies on such topics get published only decades later.
EMFs increase risks of:
- Loss of libido
- Brain cancer (1)
- Emit two kinds of EMFs – microwave electromagnetic radiation from the antenna, and more EMFs from the phone body – both are harmful.
- 20-80% of the radiation from a phone’s antenna penetrates up to 2 inches into the adult brain.
- Studies have shown that people who sleep with a cellphone by the bed have poor REM sleep, leading to impaired learning and memory. Long-term effects remain to be seen.
- When the cellphone signal is held next to the head, brainwaves are altered a full 70% of the time.
Despite the growing number of emerging studies, the evidence for any effect remains highly controversial. However, policies and advisories have been passed in certain parts of the world and make you wonder…
Policies and Advisories:
- SAN FRANCISCO, CALIFORNIA: First city in the US to pass cell phone safety legislation in July 2011 (2)
- BURLINGAME, CALIFORNIA: On August 15, 2011, the Burlingame city council voted to include cell phone guidelines as part of their Healthy Living in Burlingame initiative (2)
- FRANCE: Laws require Specific Absorption Rate posting, headsets, and protection of children (3)
- ISRAEL: (2008, 2011) The Ministry published a set of guidelines that called for limiting children’s use of cell phones, avoiding cellular communication in enclosed places such as elevators and trains, and using wired earpieces (Azoulay 2008), and limits use of cell phones in schools (2)
- EUROPEAN ENVIRONMENT AGENCY: A policy statement made in 2009 advises against regular use of cell phones by children and proposing precautionary actions to reduce the general public’s radiation exposure (2)
I don’t know about you, but my motto is “better safe than sorry”. I am all about reducing my risks of imbalances.
- Load up on the raw fruits and veggies (high in antioxidants + micro-nutrients)
- Don’t buy GMO foods and try to avoid them when eating out
- Buy organic (I buy organic pending pesticide levels and GMO, click here for more info)
- Drink immune boosting teas
- Avoid putting cell phones on your body
- Use the speaker or wired headsets to talk
- Unplug Wi-Fi on most nights, and especially when traveling
- Have a couple of crystal salt lamps in key rooms, as they are believed to neutralize EMF radiation
In conclusion, the only things we can do is try to minimize our exposure to man-made EMFs and mainly practice preventative medicine by loading up on antioxidants and keeping our immune system at optimal levels.
- (1) http://www.who.int/mediacentre/factsheets/fs193/en/
- (2) http://ehtrust.org/wp-content/uploads/2011/10/WorldwideCellphoneSafety_Oct12pm_BP.pdf
- (3) https://www.legifrance.gouv.fr/affichTexte.do?cidTexte=JORFTEXT000022915383&dateTexte=&categorieLien=id