Gluten-Free Vegan Apple Crumble
Healthy & easy gluten-free vegan apple crumble
- 4 large apples or 6 medium sized (any) apples _ (good source of fiber + vit C. Phytonutrients in apples can help regulate blood sugar)
- 1/2 (half) lemon juiced_ (vit C)
- 1 or 2 ripe bananas _ (very good source of vit B, good source of potassium + vit C)
- 3 dates, pitted and soaked in one cup of water overnight. Keep the water dates have been soaked in to blend with bananas_(1 date has 15 IU of Vit A + 15 mg Ca)
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon _ (helps with blood sugar management)
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg (optional)
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves (optional)
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger (optional)
- 1/2 cup walnuts,pre-soak overnight. Change water twice and dispose of water before using_(1/2 cup = 9 g protein + 4 g fiber + 65 mg Ca + source of omega 3 ALA)
- Pinch of salt
- 1 1/2 cup gluten-free oats _ (helps lower/ manage overall cholesterol levels)
- 1/2 cup coconut flour (if you don’t have, replace with oats or shredded coconuts)
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/3 cup melted coconut oil or olive oil
- 1/3 cup maple syrup (you can increase or decrease quantity pending your desired levels of sweetness)
- 1/4 cup white sesame seeds (optional) _ (good source of calcium)
- 1/4 cup sunflower seeds (optional) _ (7 g of protein + excellent source of Vit E)
- Pinch of salt
Preparation of apple mix/ filling:
Step 1: In a deep bowl, peel, remove core and slice apples thinly. Add squeezed lemon juice over apples.
Step 2: It is now a good time to preheat your oven at 350C
Step 3: Blend banana(s) , dates and the date water together. Add banana date blend over apples.
Step 4: Drain walnuts, chop them and add them to the apple mixture.
Step 3: Add dry spices (cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves, ginger and pinch of salt) to apple mixture. Mix all ingredient with a wooden spoon and make sure spices are on all apples.
Step 4: Pour mixture in oven ready cookware.
Preparation of crumble:
Step 1: Melt coconut oil on low heat.
Step 2: In a clean bowl, combine dry ingredients together (oats, coconut flour, cinnamon, salt, sesame and sunflower seeds).
Step 3: Add melted coconut oil/ room temperature olive oil and maple syrup over dry ingredients and mix. You will notice some clumps start to form. That’s what you want.
Step 4: Pour crumble mixture over apple mixture.
Step 5: Bake for 30 minutes on 350C. When ready, the crumbles will get a nice golden colour.
Step 6: Serve warm with some dairy-free ice cream.
***You can also have this apple crumble RAW if you are a raw foodist. Follow the sames steps minus the oven preheating and baking